SAMS HARVEST PALE ICE CREAM
served at the Kean’s Head in the Lace Market.
(Ice cream maker required)
- 50/50 semi-skimmed milk and cream, made up to 1.25 pints
- 1/2 pint of Castle Rock Harvest Pale
- 200g caster sugar
- 5 egg yolks
Method (see below for images!)
1. Into a heavy based saucepan, mix the cream, milk, Harvest Pale & half the sugar. Bring to the boil, stirring throughout.
2. Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks and the remaining sugar in a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
3. Add some of the hot mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk until they combine. Then combine both mixtures in the saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer until it thickens (like a custard).
4. Place in a jug and allow to cool to room temperature before consigning it to the fridge for at least three hours (although overnight is ideal).
5. Remove from the fridge and add to an ice cream maker (using the manufacturers instructions).
Serve plainly (we suggest with homemade shortbread and some red berries, raspberries or strawberries).
Sam’s Harvest Pale ice cream is available (while stocks last) at the Kean’s Head pub on St Mary’s Gate, in Nottingham’s Lace Market.
IMAGE OVERVIEW – Click to enlarge
NORMAL OPENING TIMES:
“Malt Whisky of the Month”
Monday night is PIE NIGHT at the Kean's.
With homemade cakes, freshly prepared sandwiches and lighter-bites, The Kean's Head offers a relaxed atmosphere to come and chill out on an afternoon.
As well as offering a large variety of beers, wines and spirits, we also have a great selection of coffees, speciality teas and soft drinks.
So if it's just to read a book, catch up on a little uni work, a working lunch, or just to relax, come to the Kean's for great drinks, food and atmosphere, with free WiFi.